Fort Wayne City Utilities reminds residents to protect their water pipes as temperatures dip to the zero mark, and below. “Frozen pipes can cause thousands of dollars in damage to a homeowner,” the agency said in a statement.
Here are some tips to protect home pipes.
• Leave a small stream of water running (size of pencil lead) to keep water moving through the pipes when temperatures dip.
• If a sink is located against an outside wall, open cabinet doors to allow warm air to get to the pipes.
• Wrap insulation around pipes that run through crawl spaces or on an outside wall.
• Protect water meter by wrapping it to add warmth.
• If water meter is located in the garage keep the garage door open.